Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Martial arts and Spirituality



This article may seem as superficial thing but there is a lot of similarity between the two.
Before going ahead with what ever I have written I would like to declare that I am not master in either of the two. I have practiced martial arts for around 5-6yrs now. And I was introduced to spirituality by ART of LIVING. I was amazed to find that there was lot in common. I have tried to put together masters of both the field. At one end it H.H. Sri Sri Ravi Shanker and other end is Bruce Lee (Ref: ‘TAO OF JEET KUNE DO’).
The things which I found common were:-
1. YIN and YANG / opposite values are complementary.
In fight when opponent is of aggressive nature the smart martial artist will fight with calm mind and depends on his simple tools like timing of the strike and limited movements. Smart fighter will gain control over aggressive fighter’s attitude. It stands true in judo where we use opponent’s energy and motion to throw him. And to my surprise it works.
Soft can control hard, u can brake a wooden boards, some bricks, but try braking sponge’ - Bruce Lee.
2. Present moment is inevitable.
When we are in fight we need to be so much there because even a blink of an eye is important. A trained fighter’s (international players) time their movements according to opponents ‘blink timing’ i.e. they actually calculate that what is the intensity of the opponents eye blinks, so that they can plan an attack accordingly.
Give full respect the opponent.
In JUDO when we start to practice or fight we bow down and formally ask for play and when we finish we formally do the same. And when we enter the birth place of judo in Japan it welcomes you with a saying
‘IN SPRIT UNITED, IN SKILL OPPOSED’. – Eisho-ji Temple, world’s first judo DOJO, 1886, Tokyo.
If we are little aware of the story of Ramayana we will find that both Rama and Ravana had respect for their opponents (listen Guruji’s Holi tape).
3.Greatest fight is within.
I learnt this from both the sides that until and unless you don’t defeat the person inside you u can not win on the mat. I think spirituality is the thing which introduces to person inside me and martial arts helped me over come it many times. Both parties showed my new potential, which was otherwise unused.
‘If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. Moving, be like water. Still be like mirror. Respond like an echo’. – Bruce Lee.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. Moving, be like water. Still be like mirror. Respond like an echo’. – Bruce Lee.
says a lot and i truely believe n respect these words......